This dish was greatly inspired by Pancake Dessert House. It’s my comfort food and all-time favourite because it reminds me of sweet memories with my family and sisters.
The marinade is very aromatic due to the use of lemongrass and shallots (two of the best Asian ingredients used in most Asian cooking). An easy dish to make which does not require a long cooking time especially for the working mummies and daddies. It’s a very versatile dish too – you can replace the chicken with pork chop if you like and easily goes well with rice or noodle. You can also add steamed vegetables or salad on the side. My hubby and lil’ one loved this simple meal and always went for seconds 🙂
Grilled Lemongrass Chicken Chop
Chicken marinade :
3 pieces of chicken thigh (with or without skin on)
Few dashes of fish sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp granulated sugar
2 stalks of fresh lemongrass, chopped
1 clove garlic
Sprinkle of extra virgin olive oil
Extra virgin olive oil
1. Prepare the marinade the night before. Blend the chopped lemongrass, shallot, garlic together in a blender until fine. Mix in the fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar and olive oil, to taste.
2. Pound the chicken thighs lightly until they are equal size in thickness. This helps to even out the cooking through the meat. Then marinade the ingredients with the chicken thighs and refrigerate overnight. The next day, turn the chicken to the other side and continue to refrigerate.
3. Bring out the chicken thighs at least 1/2 hour before grilling. Heat up the grill pan and sprinkle some olive oil and leave it to heat. Place the marinated chicken thighs on the grill pan flat and turn to medium heat. Leave it to brown before turning to the other side. If you like the chicken to be crispier or more browned, push the fire higher. Remember not to leave the chicken too long as it will dry out the meat.
4. In the mean time, prepare the scallion as accompaniment with this dish. Drizzle olive oil to heat in a wok. When it’s heated, place the chopped scallions in the wok and fry under medium heat until fragrant. Drizzle some soy sauce, to taste. Set aside.
5. Remove the grilled chicken and serve with steamed rice, fried egg and vegetables. Garnish with fried scallions and drizzle of soy sauce.