A cool dessert is something that I crave for on a hot hot summer day like today! The temperature in Melbourne was 32C and it was humid and scorchingly hot – something that I don’t really welcome during spring time.
So, of course the most natural thing for me to do is to go to a hide-out where the air conditioning is at it’s peak and the nearest for me would be the community library. It was here that I saw the cookbook Cumulus Inc. written by our very own Andrew McConnell. Of course, having been to Cumulus Inc., I was very excited to try out some of the recipes here.
Went to Coles and got the ingredients I need, came home and started to work this dessert. As the header says “the cheat” version – I went through the shortcut and bought a commercial vanilla ice cream and lychees in a can 🙂 The only thing I need to whip up is the granita. The ginger accent in the granita added the necessary “perk-me-up” factor and zest!
It’s a fairly easy dessert to make if you want that bit of granita to perk u up and cool your body 🙂
‘The Cheat’ Vanilla Ice Cream, Ginger Granita & Lychee (adapted from Cumulus Inc.)
Serves 12 cups
Vanilla ice cream (any brand if you decide to buy)
1 can of lychee or 20 fresh, peeled lychees (use the fresh lychees if you can find)
250g caster sugar
Finely grated zest of 1 lime
1 tsp grated ginger
375ml ginger beer
170ml soda water
1. To make the granita, mix sugar, lime zest, grated ginger and 500ml water in a pan or pot and bring to a simmer.
2. Remove from the heat and leave to infuse for 20 minutes to let the flavours come out from the ingredients.
3. Strain the syrup into a bowl, then add ginger beer and soda water. Pour into a shallow tray and let it freeze in the refrigerator for about 2-3 hours or until ice crystals start to appear on the surface and edges.
4. Using a fork, scrape the granita to break up the ice crystals every half hour until you have a flaky granita. This should take about 1-2 hours, depending on your freezer.
5. To serve, scoop the ice cream into chilled serving glasses. Arrange lychees around the ice cream and top with as much granita as you desire.
Best enjoyed in the summer!