Honey chicken and lemon chicken are 2 of the most popular dishes in chinese restaurants and takeouts – in Australia, that is. The dishes are not difficult to recreate at home either. Same chicken, different sauce. If you love these dishes, why spend time to create 2 dishes when you can combine them into 1 finger-licking’ dish and enjoy them with guilty pleasure.
I love them, period. Sweet honey combined with tangy lemon are wonderful summer flavours. When paired with chilled beer – this dish became a good lookin’ and finger lickin’ snack this summer. The best way to enjoy it is of course, by deep frying the wings but if your family are a little more health conscious, baking them is fine too.
If you’re hosting family and friends this beautiful Aussie summer, serve this hero dish and they’ll ask you for the recipe 🙂
Honey Lemon Chicken Wings (adapted from Dan Hong’s Mr Hong)
15 chicken wings, remove wing tips, separate wings & drummettes
75ml shoaxing wine
1 1/4 tbsp sesame oil
1 1/2 tbsp salt
1 1/2 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp chinese give spice powder
Toasted sesame seeds, to garnish
(Honey Lemon Sauce)
110 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 tbsp potato flour/starch, mixed with 1 tsp water
zest of 2 lemons
1. Prepare the marinade in a bowl by mixing shoaxing wine, sesame oil, salt, caster sugar and five spice powder. Add chicken wings and gently massage the marinade into the wings. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
2. 15-20mins before deep frying, remove the chicken wings from the fridge. In the mean time, prepare the honey lemon sauce. Bring the honey and lemon juice in a saucepan to a boil. Then slowly add the potato starch in a steady stream while stirring constantly. Stop once you have reached the consistency of golden syrup.
3. Remove the sauce from the heat and add the lemon zest. Set aside and leave it to cool.
4. Fill a large pan with sufficient oil for deep fry and heat up to 180 celsius. Don’t worry if you don’t have a kitchen thermometer, you can test the oil by dropping a pinch of bread into the oil and wait for it to turn golden in 15secs. Drop a few pieces of wings into the pan but not all – avoid overcrowding. Fry the wings evenly for about 10mins until golden all over.
5. Remove wings and rest them on a wire rack. When they are all done, place all the chicken wings in a large bowl and coat evenly with honey lemon sauce. Transfer them to a serving plate and garnish with toasted sesame seeds.