“Nothing tastes better than easy, good ‘ol not so fancy sphancy crispy and light fried chicken wing. So little ingredients, yet so flavoursome. How did they do it?”
Before I write more, let me say that this is THE fried chicken recipe that you will keep going back to over and over and over again. It’s really addictive especially the combination of flavours and aroma that jolts and excite your taste bud. Plus with that chilli dip…mmmmm oh-somely delicious!
Originated from South Vietnam and thanks to Nhut Hyunh’s cookbook Little Vietnam, I found this keeper of a recipe. According to Nhut Hyunh, this recipe reminds him of an old lady in Vietnam who used to operate a street stall selling these crispy fried chicken wings. He had gone back to the street many times but could not find the old lady so he tried to create the recipe based on memory and taste. What a nice story 🙂
To make this, you’ll only need 6 marinade ingredients and I’m pretty sure most of them are available in your pantry. The mixture of plain flour and rice flour is key to making crispy and light texture. I can imagine myself in Vietnam, sitting on street side stools enjoying some of these fried chicken wings on wooden crates LOL. Lil’ one loves it so much that she insisted that I make this every day! Hahahahaha.
Don’t believe me? Try it and let me know if I’m right (or not) 🙂
Fried Chicken Wings (Cánh Gà Chiên Dơn) (adapted from Nhut Hyunh’s Little Vietnam)
10 pcs chicken wings, remove wing tips
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1/4 onion, finely chopped
1/4 tsp five spice powder
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup good quality fish sauce (I use Red Boat 40°N)
1/4 cup plain flour
1/4 cup rice flour
vegetable oil, for deep-fry
(Ginger Chilli Sauce)
50 g ginger, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
4 birds eye chillies, roughly chopped
2 bunches of coriander root, cleaned & roughly chopped
80-100 ml good quality fish sauce, to taste
1. Rub some salt onto the chicken wings and rinse thoroughly. Pat dry and separate the drummette and wingette. Place in a large bowl.
2. Prepare the chicken marinade. Mix chopped onion, garlic, five spice powder, ground black pepper, sugar and fish sauce in a bowl. Then pour the marinade over the chicken wings and ensure they are well-coated. Leave to marinade for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
3. Now, on to the ginger chilli sauce. Process all ingredients except fish sauce in a food processor until paste-like texture. Add fish sauce, taste and adjust level of saltiness.
4. 30 minutes before cooking, bring chicken wings to room temperature. Mix the flour together in a large mixing bowl. Heat enough vegetable oil for deep-frying. When the oil is hot enough, coat wings in flour mixture and fry them for 7 – 8 minutes, or until cooked through and golden brown. Drain on paper towel.
5. Serve hot with ginger chilli sauce.