One of the most versatile ingredient and easiest to cook, yet some may say it’s tasteless and some say it’s delicious. It can be eaten raw, deep-fried, steamed, braised or pan-fried.
During the past week, I’ve been making lots of tofu dish. I don’t know why but I think it must have been the Chinese New Year bug 🙂
Nevertheless, this is one of the tofu dish I’d like to share with you today – as it’s becoming our official household tofu dish. Incidentally, I found this recipe on a blog and thought that the idea of crusting tofu with sesame seeds and bonito flakes absolutely mouth watering. And, mouth watering it was. Interestingly by using the bonito flakes, it not only added a bit of umami-ness to the tofu, it also creates a light and feathery texture when deep-fried.
Really memorable dish.
Sesame & Bonito Flakes-crusted Tofu (from Cherry on a cake)
Makes about 12 pieces
400 g semi firm tofu (I use Evergreen original tofu)
1/4 cup cornflour
1/4 cup white sesame seeds
2 cups bonito flakes
2 tbsp vegetable oil, for deep-frying
Thumb size ginger, finely grated
1 spring onion, finely chopped
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1-2 bird eye chilies, finely sliced
1. Drain the tofu and leave them on kitchen paper towel to dry. Pat them dry and slice into 1 inch squares or rectangles. Set aside.
2. Prepare your breading station. Firstly, break the egg and lightly beat in one bowl. Then add the flour in another shallow wide bowl. Lastly, combine sesame seeds and bonito flakes and gently mix with fingers in the third shallow wide bowl.
3. Take one slice of tofu. Gently dust with flour. Shake off excess flour and dip the tofu in the egg. Lastly, coat tofu with sesame seeds/bonito flakes mixture. Place on a clean plate and repeat the same with the rest of the tofu.
4. Heat up oil on medium high heat. Do the chopstick test and once you see bubbles continuously bubbling around the chopstick, gently drop the tofu for deep-frying and do not over crowd. Fry each side for about 2 minutes and ensure they don’t burn. Drain and place on kitchen paper towel.
5. Mix soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and bird eye chilies together. Taste test and adjust accordingly.
6. Before serving, sprinkle grated ginger and chopped spring onions on top of the tofu. Serve with dipping sauce mixture.